What can I do to prevent theft?
Following the purchase of a bike through Bike to Work it is your responsibility to insure the bike during the purchase period. Your insurance policy needs to cover the bike for trips to, from and whilst at work and also for leisure riding.
You can get a discount on bike insurance through Blue Insurance Here.
There are many things you can do whilst using or storing the bicycle to make theft less likely. The following precautions can be taken to reduce the likelihood of theft:
- Never leave the bicycle unlocked
- Always use an approved lock appropriate for the value of bicycle.
- Always lock the bicycle to a solid immovable object (If available use a bicycle rack or an object set into concrete or stone where it is not possible to lift the bicycle over or under the object)
- When away from your usual storage location never leave the bicycle unattended for longer than 12 hours
- When at your usual storage location always leave the bicycle inside your home, garage or shed when not in use.
- Ensure your home garage or shed is secured with a minimum 5 lever lock or padlock (or lock the bicycle to an immovable object within the garage or shed).
- Always read your insurance policy to ensure the place you intend to store the bicycle is acceptable to your insurers and that you understand the security requirements.
If the bike has quick-release wheels and saddle you can buy an additional cable or replace these items with secure devices that can only be operated with specialist keys.
The information provided here is for guidance only and no contract or contract term is implied by the security advice given – Only the security conditions detailed in your insurance policy wording can be taken as a binding contract.